Rennes-le-Château is a medieval village, situated on the back of a mountain, about 40 km south of Carcassonne. Every year it attracts many tourists due to the
numerous books on the ‘Holy Grail’ and ‘Mary Magdalene’. The main sights of the village are: the Romanesque village church Sainte Marie-Madeleine dating from 1059. The village priest Bérenger
Saunière, an admirer of Mary Magdalene, started to restore and alter the church in 1891; Saunière’s house, the Villa Bethania, has been turned into a museum; as well as the Tour Magdala, a
library tower on a little hill, and the last remnants of the castle Château d’Hautpoul.